Monday, April 21, 2008

Travel Log - Star date 20080421

Plane, train or automobile: All three!

Mission: Travel to Buffalo, NY. Being the good company soldier that I am, I took an obscenely early flight on a Sunday to save us $400. This means that I flew from ROA at 6:10 a.m. What I didn't realize was that I would be experiencing the Detroit Airport for the first time. If you have not been to DTW, I highly recommend it.

Here's why:


And now the monorail:


Here are some still shots of the monorail:






From DTW, I headed to Buffalo, NY. Since I got there at noon (and didn't have to be at my destination until 5 p.m.) I decided to visit Niagara Falls. Bear in mind that I am very frugal (or cheap), so rather than pay $10 to park for an hour, I walked in from a side street and down towards the Falls along the American Rapids:


Being cheap also means that I don't have a passport (does Travel Man need a passport? Does Superman file a flight plan with the FAA?) so all of these pics are from the American side. The "big" part of the Falls is the Horseshoe Falls, which is not nearly as impressive from the USA side:


The American Falls are very impressive however:
I definitely plan on coming back with the Girls sometime. I might even pay to park closer, or (gasp) get passports so we can see everything from the Canadian side.

Number of human interactions: 0

State(s) visited: MI, NY

City visited: Detroit, Niagara Falls

Interesting fact about this city: Um, did you see the vids and pics above?

Halpert says: Most. water. ever
.

1 comment:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Definitely go and see it from the Canadian side. Your kids will be amazed. And at night, they light up the falls with different colors--cheesy, but cool.

2007 Travel Destinations