Saturday, July 12, 2008

Travel Log - Star date 20080712 - Minneapolis Part I

Plane, train or automobile: Back in the air at last! I flew Delta airlines to Minneapolis and then hitched a ride with the Division Manager to the hotel. Our workshop was at the hotel, so I really didn't need to go anywhere. Why spend money on a car that is going to sit in the parking lot for two days?


Maybe next time I can travel on SkyHigh Airlines...

Mission: Management training for 11 store managers. This was a good group and I had the opportunity to spend a little extra time bonding with them - the Division Manager took us all out to dinner at the restaurant next door after the first day's session. When your division covers western Minnesota and eastern North Dakota, you take advantage of times when your Team is together.

Number of human interactions: 13. There was this absolutely delightful lady working in the hotel restaurant every morning. Extremely friendly, customer focused and wanted to make sure that everything was going smoothly for our group. One of the best hotel experiences I have had this year. I stayed
here.

State(s) visited: OH (really KY since the Cincinnati Airport is in Kentucky) and MN.

City visited: Minneapolis and Elk River.

Interesting fact about this city: One interesting fact - the
Mall of America. I didn't get a chance to visit this time, but I have a return trip coming up in a few weeks and will have some time to visit MOA.


So the Mall of America and... two interesting facts!


The Minnesota Vikings. I was a fan while Daunte Culpepper was the QB - us UCF boys have to stick together. We drove right by their practice facility and I saw many Vikings stickers, license plates, shirts, etc. while I was in town.


So the Mall of America, the Minnesota Vikings and... three interesting facts!


In Advance Auto Parts news, our new CEO Darren Jackson got the Roanoke media all fired up when he decided to continue living in Minneapolis. Darren was the CFO for Best Buy and has a lot of business ties to the community. Originally, we were supposed to have a small office for about 10 executives in Minnesota and everyone else would remain in Roanoke. While on this trip, AAP announced that the Front Room merchandising Team would be based in Minneapolis. As you can imagine, the local media in Roanoke is having a conniption!

Halpert says: The water slide was totally awesome! I wish Travel Kids had come along!

No comments:

2007 Travel Destinations