Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Travel Log - Star date 20080823 - Duncansville, PA

Plane, train or automobile: Matrix. This car sips gas - I got 37.3 mpg on this trip!

Mission: Management Training for 12 Store Managers.


The One with The Talker.
This was quite the talkative group. One manager liked to monopolize the conversation and say the same thing over and over. I was using all of my facilitator tricks to minimize his talk time without completely shutting him down, and this guy just kept talking! I spent the first break trying to figure out what else I could do, and was ready for my last ditch attempt when several participants came back early and said "Hey, we told XXXXX to cool it. He is wasting our time saying the same thing over and over and there is nothing that anybody here can do about it". Problem solved!

I had forgotten that groups will many times discipline themselves - I was glad that the correction came from them so that I could maintain his trust with me as a facilitator. In the end, it worked out well because he was great at summarizing the key talking points, which meant that one of their own was telling them how they could use the skills. Much more powerful that way!

Number of human interactions: 17. Had to include various waitresses, etc in the count.

State(s) visited: WV, MD (for about 100 yard), PA

City visited:
Duncansville, PA

Interesting fact about this city: They have a Tijuana Flats! You may have figured out by now that I reeeeaaaaalllyy like burritos, and frequent Moes, Chipotle, etc. while on the road. Tijuana Flats is high on my list, and I thought that they were mainly in Central Florida. The founder is a UCF grad, so I have to support a fellow alum.

Halpert says: A little taste of Florida... in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania.

No comments:

2007 Travel Destinations